In this episode I interview Rodrigo Nieto-Gomez about the criminal entrepreneurial and innovation skills of Mexican drug cartels, how they operate and what we can learn from them. Some of the topics we cover in this interview are:
- How drug cartels operate and innovate more like a Silicon Valley startups than one would initially assume,
- Why they’re so good innovation,
- What today’s companies can learn from this illegal drug trade,
- How they adapted their business models to reflect disruptions and changes in their markets,
- How the drug cartels were previously using planes, tunnels, catapults, drones and are now resorting to more unorthodox methods such as manned narco-submarines and other techniques to evade authorities,
- Why these cartels are shifting and diversifying their business to human trafficking and other „services“ and products,
- How cocaine is produced from its raw material to its end consumers and what makes it so profitable,
- How to setup your own drug empire, what skills and mentality you need to succeed in this industry, how to scale your business and what offshoring options you can use,
- and so much more.
Links & Resources Mentioned
- Asymmetrical Risk/Reward
- Red Team
- Survivorship bias
- MS-13 (Criminal Gang)
- Heroin and cocaine prices in Europe and USA (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
- Vice: How Drug Cartels Operate Like Silicon Valley Startups
- The Atlantic: Smugglers Are Literally Shooting Drugs Out Cannons Towards the US
- The Washington Post: Mexican cartels move into human trafficking
- Newsweek: Some Mexican Cartels Have Begun Human Trafficking as Drug Operations Are Disrupted
- IMDB: Sicario
- IMDB: The Godfather
- Narcos (Netflix Series)
- YouTube (BBC News): Coronavirus: How Mexican cartels are taking advantage of pandemic
- YouTube (Associated Press): Catapult for Smuggling Marijuana
- YouTube (Motherboard): Colombia's Coke-Smuggling Submarines
- YouTube (The Sun): US Coast Guard leaps onto narco submarine
Follow/Add the Podcast Host/Guest on:
Have feedback or recommendations for topics or guests?
Let us know, by filling out this short form here.
Follow GAMMA Digital & Beyond on
This podcast looks at innovators and companies that are changing the game and how they took their initial idea and created a game-changing product or service, while giving you unique perspectives and insights you’ve probably haven’t heard elsewhere.
David and his guests discuss real-world practical advice on how to best harness the creativity of your employees and go from idea to product or service that has the potential to radically transform your business.
They also share lessons they’ve learned along the way to effectively accelerate, incubate and scale innovations within small, medium and large enterprises, all while separating hype from reality and replacing bullshit bingo with common sense.
The show is hosted by David C. Luna, author, keynote speaker and founder of GAMMA Digital & Beyond.
The Innovational Correctness Podcast by GAMMA Digital & Beyond, David C. Luna is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Based on a work at gammabeyond.com/en/podcast/. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available by contacting us here.